Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Still Composition Assignment

I got by with a little help from my friends in my quest for a nice composition picture. When our class ended, we stood around on the main sidewalk outside of the Eccles and Performing Arts Building. One of my friends suggested I take the picture you see below, which I found contains the still composition elements.


I snapped this picture with my iPhone using the camera grids. With the Rule of Thirds in mind, I made sure the line of cars rested along the top two grid points. The concrete fills the bottom space of the frame. Despite some overlapping, the concrete touched the bottom two grid points. 

The horizontal and vertical lines in the background create a still, relaxed atmosphere, while the diagonal lines in the foreground provide energy. The diagonal lines move with the flow of traffic, as demonstrated by the passing car. I allowed more open space in front of the car, as opposed to behind, in order to show that the car is, in fact, traveling toward a destination that likely continues outside of the frame. With the motion vector, my eye follows the car's route. The graphic line vectors contained within the concrete and asphalt guide the car along that route. A possible index vector comes into play with the tree shadows. The one on the left guides my eye into the frame. Although their shapes aren't smooth and defined, it looks like both shadows point at the car, which provides further direction, as well as emphasis on the car as the subject.

I enjoy the combination of the relaxed lines with the energetic lines. I find it gives the picture a good balance. The scene isn't overwhelming, but it's not underwhelming, either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment