Sunday, September 4, 2016

Contrast, Balance, Harmony

The Force is strong with this assignment. I didn't have to travel through time and space to find my next image. I simply changed my small Star Wars calendar to September and adored the image that greeted me. Granted, I enjoyed the other monthly images, but September stands out the most in terms of contrast, balance, and harmony.


This image contains a lot of contrast, which is a big reason why I love it so much. The most obvious size contrast exists between Rey and BB-8. She stands quite a bit taller than the roly-poly droid. The staff in her hand shows sharp size and light contrast. It rises above her and darkens against the sun. The jets also show size contrast with their proximity to the earth and the characters. I get the sense that the larger jet is the closest, while the smaller jet is farther away.

The dark/light contrast is my favorite. Shadows are everywhere in this image. Rey is almost a shadow herself. I love the way her silhouette cuts into the sun. This gives her head and shoulders shape and proportion. Spots of light highlight sections of her skin and clothing, which contrasts beautifully against the shadows. This, combined with lines, also gives her clothing some texture and movement. The tan color on the flowing ends of cloth showcase Jakku's desert environment. The contrast also clues me in on Rey's facial expression. She looks determined, and the lighting gives her an air of authority. I just know crap is about to go down.

In terms of balance, this picture is asymmetrical, however, I don't think that's a bad thing. If I split the image vertically, the right side is heavy due to the closer objects, while the left side is more open due to the farther objects. That change in distances provides motion, which, I believe, helps balance the picture out. The sun is a fixed symmetrical point that brings the whole picture together.

Combined, the contrasts and asymmetry make this image harmonious. I enjoy gazing upon the various lights and shadows and distances. This scene thrums with energy, and I feel like I am standing on Jakku with Rey and BB-8 coming toward me. Don't worry, I side with the Jedi!

No comments:

Post a Comment